Total Pageviews

Friday, November 11, 2011

Firehouse Meatloaf

            Today I learned a valuable lesson.  Do not leave the house when the oven is on auto-clean.  Earlier today I made meatloaf for dinner.  Unfortunately for me, the juices of the meatloaf oozed over the side of the pan burning on the bottom of the oven causing my house to fill with a light veil of smoke.  After eating dinner, I turned on the “self-cleaning” oven.  For the first half hour or so everything seemed to be fine. All of a sudden I heard a strange popping noise.  Quickly, I ran to the kitchen to investigate the noise.  Pop!  I heard it again.  But this time I saw where it was coming from.  Behind my oven a puff of flame leapt out, grazing the wall.  OMG!  I quickly turned off my oven and ran to wake up Brian.  Thankfully, this is a new oven, still under warranty.  Tomorrow I will contact the store where I bought it and have them fix it.  Thank God my house did not catch on fire; where would my two cats and my dog live?  Lesson learned, don’t leave the house when the  oven is cleaning.

            Firehouse Meatloaf

            Put 2 lbs or 1 kilo of ground beef into a bowl.  Add one package of dry onion soup mix, one egg, 1 cup of ketchup, 2 tablespoons of mustard, 1 tablespoon of Montreal steak seasoning (or a pepper seasoning) and 10 shakes of Worcestershire sauce.  Take a cup of oat meal and put it in the food processor and chop it fine, dump into meat mixture.  Chop up: 2 carrots, ½ green pepper, one onion and 2 cloves of garlic; stir into meat mixture until all the ingredients are completely mixed together. Place uncooked meatloaf into a bread pan.  Now, in a bowl mix ½ cup of ketchup with 2 heaping tablespoons full of brown sugar, mix well and pure over the meatloaf covering the top.   Place in a 350F (175C)  for about one hour, or until completely cooked.  In order to not get the meatloaf juices all over the bottom of the oven, place a cookie sheet or a pan on the rack below the pan.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment