Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Bear (Mexican Style Risotto)


I am the bear.  I am the prowler in the night, the one who rummages through ‘fridge and cupboard, leaving no Tupperware unturned; if there is food, I will find it.  The freezer is tough because everything is quite literally frozen.  I cannot slip into the kitchen at midnight and eat undetected by the “sergeant” if I am trying to cook frozen food.  I wouldn’t even know how to go about transforming frozen chicken into a yummy chicken-mayonnaise-white bread sandwich in under ten minutes, so I rummage the ‘fridge.  There was two slices of Swiss cheese underneath the tortillas, which were under the sausage (in raw state,  cannot eat without cooking).  I lifted one slice of cheese so I wouldn’t have to put the empty wrapper in the trash (the “sergeant” would see it).  I took a slice of that heavy-metal German bread from Aldi’s; this stuff is so dense, I think it would undergo nuclear fission in a reactor.  Since the bread is so dense, I take only one, but I make up for the dryness by doling out the mayonnaise with a spoon (oh, yeah).  I chowed this half-sandwich in four bites, but only because I thought Dorothy was pulling up in the car.  Did I tell her I ate something?  Nein

Dorothy came in after her late class and pulled out…you guessed it!  Frozen Chicken!  She put together a healthy green salad with oil and vinegar dressing.  I’ll be glad to chow it all down; I just don’t think I will slow down my appetite at all.  She served me two pieces of the chicken and whipped up a slurry of vegetable risotto on the side.  I don’t know how she thinks of food like that.  It was excellent.  Don’t ask me about authentic, as I’ve never eaten in Italy.  All I know is it was a blend of several complimentary flavors.  I had to ask what the slight sweet flavor was; I thought there was a sliced piece of fruit in the sauce. It was corn, of all things.  She didn’t add a lot, but it is was enough to add a dimension.  It is amazing to find out what the true flavor of some things is.  For example, Chef Ramsay runs a television show in which chefs compete for the prize of running a Ramsay restaurant.  One of the most interesting competitions is the blindfold taste test of common items found in a restaurant kitchen.  I believe I am right in saying I’ve never seen anyone get all ten.
 

Mexican Style Risotto
            In a frying pan add one cup of rice and five cups of water.  Add: one can of kidney beans, ½ cup of frozen corn, 1/3 green pepper, one small chopped onion, one diced tomato,  a crushed clove of garlic, two heaping tablespoons full of taco seasoning, one tablespoon of cilantro, and ¾ cup of hot sauce and one chicken bouillon cube.  Let simmer until the rice is tender.  Do not let the rice dry out, add water if needed. 
This quick tasty treat should be served with sprinkled cheddar cheese and sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment