Total Pageviews

Friday, November 4, 2011

Dreamy Potato Chili


Exhaustion.  That is what I felt this morning when I woke up at 5:30.  Now, sixteen hours later, the day is almost over and I am counting the span to bed time in minutes.  Normally, I go to bed between 9:30 and 10:30; not so, yesterday.  It did not help any that I had inadequate sleep the night before and someone foisted demands over and above the usual school homework upon me.  Now don’t get me wrong, I love waking up early.  If I slept in until 8 or 9am I would feel like a large part of my day was gone.  I understand that it is not the wake up time, it’s the going to bed time that messes me up.  Today, after I got home from school, my plan was to take the dog for a walk.  Twenty minutes later, I found myself snuggled deep under my down comforter begging my mind to shut down and sleep.  What mother of any age can expect to have a nap without one of the kids calling or texting to charge up the brainwaves again, just before dropping into a dreamy slumber.  Yes, my cell phone chirped; one of my kids needed help.  After a short call, a few minutes later, I found myself once again thankfully slipping into nap coma.  I dreamed of what to cook for dinner.  I wanted pizza, but that is not in the budget, so I decided upon potato chili; the dream finished, and I woke up to literally prepare the meal of my dreams!

            Dreamy Potato Chili

            Brown one pound of ground beef in a pan.  When the meat is almost cooked, add one chopped onion, diced half green pepper, and two crushed garlic cloves.  Cook veggies until tender.  Add two large tablespoons of chili seasoning, one teaspoon red pepper, 16 oz of tomato sauce, one cup water,  ½ cup frozen corn, and one can kidney beans.  Let simmer for at least fifteen minutes.  Dice three baked potatoes and add to the chili mix.  While eating, add a large dollop of sour cream and enjoy! 
PS:  The Bear says that this particular chili is suitable for Tabasco Sauce, for those who like that particular flavor.  The Bear loves Tabasco, but many people don’t, so put it on the table and make him keep it to his own bowl.  Furthermore, those who are looking to impress firemen or the Marine Corps could add up to one tablespoon of chili powder.  Contrary to what someone  who shall remain nameless says, I don’t think that cayenne belongs in chili.

No comments:

Post a Comment