Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Candace’s Alternative Chicken Wrap


            Sometimes I feel as if I am a short order cook for my family.  When the kids were young I would cook one meal, place it in front of the family, pray and eat.  Not so now.  Candace will not eat anything that is spicy.  She had decided that she does not want to eat any spaghetti or any other noodle dishes, (home-made cheese ravioli does not count).  In no way will she eat red spaghetti sauce, at least which is what she says, unless of course it is on lasagna or cheese ravioli.  I can’t even consider making a chili or curry dinner if she is gracing our table.  If I do make a curry, I need to pull some of the chicken and vegetables a side before adding the spicy stuff.  Ted’s list is a bit smaller. No raw tomatoes, carrots or onions.  He will only eat Cesar salads, as he hates oil and vinegar, and does not want to see fresh garlic in it.  He does not like normal white rice, but will eat basmati rice with his curry.  I can’t even get sour cream near his Mexican food.  No lentil soup or eating any type of squash.  When I look at all the foods these two will not eat, I start to feel like a failure of a mom.  Once Brian decided to make Ted eat a tomato from his salad in “Das Dutchmen Essenhaus” Goshen, Indiana.  I was amazed how quickly it shot out of his mouth the moment he started chewing.  Brian quickly picked him up, running to the bathroom before any other part of his meal decided to appear for an encore.  I believe that was the last time Brian tried to make any of our kids eat a food that was on the “I won’t eat” list. Today we ate leftover meatloaf, squash and baked potatoes.  Candace won’t eat meatloaf; I think it is a consistency thing, so I quickly whipped her up a chicken wrap.

            Candace’s Alternative Chicken Wrap

            Take one chicken breast and cut it into small pieces, placing it into a frying pan seasoned with one tablespoon of coconut oil, sprinkle salt and pepper over the chicken.  Cook until the meat is a light brown on the outside.  Make sure you do not overcook, drying out the meat.  Take a large tortilla wrap, (mine was a basil tomato wrap), and put two tablespoons of middle eastern yogurt down the center; sprinkle a bit of salt and a little sugar over the yogurt, (some cayenne pepper would be a nice touch too, but not for Candace).  Place shredded lettuce, sliced tomatoes, green peppers and cut green onions on the yogurt.  Now add the cooked chicken pieced and some shredded cheddar cheese on top.  Fold the ends of the wrap about two inches over the filling of the sandwich; this prevents the contents from falling out while eating.  Now, roll the wrap as tight as possible without breaking the tortilla, cut in half to make eating easier. 
            This sandwich is great for someone who is trying to cut down on the carbs.  I look at it as a guilt free meal, so enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment