Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Cucumber Cilantro Grrr Salad


            Being a mom sometimes challenges me in ways that force me to stretch myself.  Today I woke up feeling sad and upset.  Forty-six has nothing to do with any emotional ups and downs, right?  Not!  Brian and I finally got my feet back on the Earth where I could start working on my research paper that is due this Tuesday.  Because of the rollercoaster of emotions, I am emotionally exhausted and research papers are the last thing I would like to do with my Saturday.  Give me a rake and I will be happy to go clean up the leaves in my son’s yard, but not write a ten page paper.  So, I finally get into my grove when all of a sudden my daughter shows up.  She is having a bad day and needs some mommy time.  At this point, I could be very selfish and not give her the needed visit, or I can be the “mother of the day” and rescue her from the burning building.  I am faster than a speeding bullet, leaping tall buildings in a single bound, and more powerful than a locomotive; I am MOM.  Or, at least I can go grocery shopping and choose to laugh and have fun with my daughter, even on the worst of days.  

            After shopping I was REALLY HUNGRY!  It was almost impossible for me resist stopping to buy fast food for a quick fix.  I did not want to waste the money and eat all those bad calories, so I whipped up a quick meal when I got home of chicken fingers and cucumber salad.

            I would love to give you the recipe for the chicken fingers, but I cheated and bought frozen.  Our butcher makes a very acceptable frozen chicken product where he does not add any water.  So the piece of chicken is almost the same size as before it was cooked, not like the cheaper products in the grocery store. 

            Cucumber Cilantro Grrr Salad

            Cut up into quarter slices one hot house cucumber (the type that you eat the skin).  Add 1 up of plain yogurt, 2 green onions chopped, ½ cup of chopped cilantro, 1 teaspoon of sugar, and salt and pepper to taste. 
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment