Total Pageviews

Friday, August 3, 2012

Cold Tuna Salad on a Bed of Salad


Driving through my neighborhood, I quickly notices dead brown grass where normally a lush green carpet should stand.  The large trees in front of Kelloggsville high school  leaves have formed a brown carpet on the lawn, instead their normal umbrella which provides shade to any passer by.  How strange it is to smell Fall in July, instead of the fresh summer sent of grass clippings. This summer is a real scorcher with temps reaching as high as 103 degrees.  

This hot summer reminds me of my younger days as a kid.  In those days, it was an exception to the rule for a home to have central air.  A family really felt fortunate to have at least one window unit cooling one room of the house.  In our home, the family room was the chosen cooled room.  Our kids rooms left us so hot, that we often slept in our underpants on top of the sheets, where we dreamt of the mercury in thermometers raising so high that the top of would break off into a million pieces.

Yesterday, my motivation to cook a hot meal disappeared as abnormal  temperatures rose robbing me of my normal appetite.  Knowing that I needed to cook, or at least prepare a meal, I decided to play “What’s in the Cupboard.”  Finding a can of tuna, I threw together a cold tuna salad on a bed of Romaine lettuce with a squeeze of lemon juice.

Cold Tuna Salad on a Bed of Salad

In a bowl, place one can of tuna, 1/2 chopped small onion, 1/2 green pepper, 1  chopped carrot, 1/2 cup raisins, 1/4 mayo, 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, salt and pepper.  Mix well.

Chop Romaine lettuce up and place on a plate.  Put some tuna salad in the middle of the lettuce pile.  Squeeze 1/4 of a lemon over the top and mix.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment